Election advertising blackout period
From 12 am Thursday 30 June, radio and TV broadcasters are prohibited by the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 from showing any election advertisements ahead of this Saturday’s federal election. The blackout lasts until the polls close at 6 pm Saturday.
The election advertising blackout applies to broadcasters, including:
- commercial television broadcasting licensees
- commercial radio broadcasting licensees
- community broadcasting licensees
- subscription television broadcasting licensees
- providers of broadcasting services under class licences.
The election advertising blackout only applies to broadcasters. It does not include online services and print media.
More information is available here.
29 June 2016
Last updated: 15 September 2016