Recognise, report and protect yourself from scams
Almost everyone will be the target of a scam at some time - you may have been already. Some scams are easy to spot, while others can happen without you even knowing it.
The Scamwatch website provides detailed information on how these kinds of scams target you, and how you can recognise and report them. Visit the site and find out more about protecting yourself from scams through simple steps.
There are many types of scams, including:
- lottery and competition scams
- investment or ‘get rich quick' scams
- money transfer requests or ‘Nigerian' scams
- banking and online account scams
- employment scams
Some tips for protecting yourself from phone scams
- Be suspicious of unexpected calls and text messages.
- Hang up. Or text ‘STOP' to unwanted messages.
- Don't give your number to just anyone.
Some tips for protecting yourself from internet scams
- Keep your protection software up-to-date
- Don't respond in any way to unsolicited emails
- If in doubt, delete
For more information visit Scamwatch or call the Scamwatch Hotline on 1300 795 995.