The role of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) includes ensuring that the community is well informed about communications matters and delivering effective consumer protection to consumers.
ACMA undertakes a range of community awareness programs, including collaborating with other agencies to raise consumer awareness of products and services available to them.
Advice is also available to visitors to Australia, who may only operate certain equipment in accordance with applicable Australian rules and regulations.
There is also specific advice on electromagnetic radiation and safety, and particular communications equipment.
In this section, consumer and community advice is categorised by sector, as seen below.
- An overview of digital broadcasting, plus advice on resolving your reception and interference problems.
- Tips for finding radio and television stations.
- Advice on choosing a service provider, internet costs and technology guides.
- Warnings on internet risks.
- Advice on choosing products and services for fixed-line and mobile phones.
- Your rights and safeguards, including essential and emergency services.
- Information on CB radios and interference.
- Explanations of different radio equipment.