Internet content

Internet gambling complaints

Internet gambling


What is prohibited?

The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 (the IGA) makes it an offence to provide or advertise interactive gambling to Australians. This includes casino-style games and live sports wagering (also known as 'in-play' wagering) made available over the internet.

What is the role of ACMA?

The ACMA accepts complaints made under the IGA about:

  • prohibited internet gambling content
  • advertisements for interactive gambling services that are broadcast on TV or radio.

The ACMA's jurisdiction and role under the IGA does not include taking action on behalf Australians who have deposited money with gambling sites. This means the ACMA is not able to assist you with recouping money from internet gambling services.

If you have experienced an issue recovering money from an internet gambling service, you may wish to seek independent legal advice or consider making a complaint to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. You may also find some of the other resources listed below useful.

Enquiries about other forms of advertising for interactive gambling services, including online or print advertising, should be directed to the Department of Communications and the Arts.

What will ACMA do?

The action taken by the ACMA depends on whether the internet gambling content is hosted in Australia or overseas.

If the complaint is about content hosted in Australia, the ACMA will refer the complaint to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) where it considers the referral to be warranted.

If the complaint is about content hosted outside Australia, the ACMA may investigate and if the content is found to be prohibited under the IGA, will notify the content to makers of the approved Family Friendly Filters listed in Schedule 1 to the Interactive Gambling Act industry code ( The ACMA may also refer the complaint to the AFP where it believes that such a referral is appropriate.

Regardless of outcome, the ACMA will advise all people who lodge a complaint about the ACMA's handling of the complaint.

How do I make a complaint?

Information on how to lodge a complaint and the details required is here.

How do I enquire about the legality of a gambling service I am proposing? 

Advice in relation to whether a proposed service, or advertisement, may be prohibited under the IGA should be sought from an independent legal adviser.

Further information

Further information on the IGA, including the types of services it covers, can be found here.

To find out more about the ACMA's role under the IGA, email or contact us at the address below:

Manager, Diversity, Localism and Accessibility Section

Australian Communications and Media Authority

PO BOX Q500 Queen Victoria Building NSW 1230

Tel: 1300 850115

Fax: (02) 9334 7799

Other Government resources

 To find out more about the Government's regulation of internet gambling, visit the following sites:

Department of Communications and the Arts

Department of Social Services

The following resources are available to provide Australians with services that may be of assistance in managing issues with gambling.

Gambling Help Online

Problem Gambling

State and Territory resources

You may wish to contact your State/Territory authority and seek further information about the licensing requirements of service providers who host their services in Australia.

Australian Capital Territory Gambling and Racing Commission

New South Wales Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority

Northern Territory Gambling and Racing Services

Queensland Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

South Australian Independent Gambling Authority

Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Branch, Department of Treasury and Finance

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Western Australian Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor


Last updated: 03 May 2017

Most commented

Most read

Back to top