Boating is fun but can be dangerous, follow these quick tips to make sure you have trouble-free fun while you’re out on the water.
Is your boat ship shape?
- As well as monitoring the engine, make sure you check all the safety equipment like flares, life jackets and your marine radio.
Mayday, mayday—does your marine radio work?
- Charge up your marine radio battery—check it the next day to make sure it’s holding charge.
- Your antenna and connections may also need attention, so clean them and make sure they make good contact.
- Turn your radio on to make sure it’s working and receiving a signal.
- Once you’re on the water, it’s a good idea to call your local volunteer marine rescue group and ask for a radio check—are you being received loud and clear?
Safety first—how are your life jackets?
- If they’re the inflatable type, check the date you need to have them serviced.
- Make sure your life jacket is ON before you set sail. You can never predict when you’re going to get into difficulty—your life jacket can’t help you if it’s in the locker and you’re in the water.
For more helpful tips, go to www.acma.gov.au/vhfmarine and www.anzsbeg.com.au.